Rustic Dots

Friday, March 14, 2008

Leprechauns

My poor Alivia! I was in charge of the St. Patrick's Day party this week for Addison's preschool. When preschool is at our house, then Alivia just naturally sits in and participates as one of the students. This week was extra fun because we got to break away from the norm and do something a little spicy!
I have ALWAYS remembered how mysteriously intrigued I was when I went to my first grade class (Todd and I were in the same class...and he remembers it too) and found leprechaun foot prints all around our classroom walls. Apparently something fantastic visitor had appeared in our classroom while we were away. Of course none of us had seen this visitor...and yet...had we? Soon the rumors were flying...
I wanted to recreate something for my own kids and classmates. I introduced them to leprechauns and told them of their love for trickery. It is nearly impossible to catch a leprechaun, but if you do, they HAVE to tell you where they have hidden their pot of gold--which every leprechaun possesses. So we began our mission to catch a leprechaun. I wore my magic hat (which summons leprechauns from all over the world) while we made leprechaun ladders learned an Irish jig, made a rainbow, sang leprechaun songs, mazes, etc. and finally found our own leprechaun foot prints and followed the tracks which led us on a scavenger hunt to find our own pot of gold. The kids were so into it that when they would misplace thier pencils they would say that a leprechaun must have snuck in and moved it super fast and then disappeared. They were so cute. I couldn't believe how excited they were to find hidden shamrocks and everything else!!!
I knew that the whole experience had affected them, but I hadn't realized how much until after I put Alivia to bed. I heard her sobbing in her room. She was terrified that a leprechaun would be in her room. I explained to her that the whole thing was just pretend, but she couldn't shake it. The poor girl was with me when I bought the hat, the gold EVERYTHING. I reminded her, and that did console her some, but she really had a hard time. I found her later that night sleeping on the floor outside her bedroom. She talked about it all the next day assuring Addison (and trying to convince herself) that everything was just pretend. I wondered if I should break the Easterbunny thing to them too...but that would lead to Santa Claus and open a whole can of worms that I don't want to open. So we'll leave it at that, but I think maybe I overdid it. Live and learn!!!

8 comments:

Cristi said...

Cassie! You are so cute! I miss you!

Prax Family said...

That is a really cute story! I bet those kids had a great day. When I taught first grade we had leprechauns come visit our class and the kids made traps at home to try to catch them. They left for lunch and came back to footprints, gold glitter and little golden coins all over the room. All the traps had been tripped (one trap even caught a piece of one leprechauns coat!) All the effort was sooo worth their adorable little faces once they came back from lunch! It took half an hour just to get them to settle down! I loved it! I bet you love teaching preschool, Cassie!

Kristen said...

How cute! I have never heard of or seen anything like those ideas. What a fun way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Love it.

Rochelle said...

Poor Livie..(sp) she is so sweet! You will remember this day forever...and unfortunately maybe she will, too. haha...j/k...
You are awesome...I just love you guys. Thanks for your wonderful friendship and all the great times. I really hope we get to have more to come...(is that a jinx on your moving plans...maybe :) )
Love y'all!

Joseph and Jenny said...

Cassie, your blog is too cute! I loved reading all your stories and seeing your crazy videos.

Joseph and Jenny said...

Cassie, your blog is too cute! I loved reading all your stories and seeing your crazy videos.

kelli said...

That was a great story!

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

I just got your email about the costume concerns! ( you sent it to my hotmail account and I don't check that very often. My new email address is mollymjackson@gmail.com). Anyway...I really don't know what to tell you except that you're husband is going to hate you forever for making him do this. I mean, he is going to be a BEAST, after all. They don't him a beast for no reason. So he might look hideous/ridiculous/and or stupid. Darn it! Just check online and see if there are any "good" ones out there.
???
Sorry I'm not much help!